The 2017 Nassau County Science Competition!
Freeport High School… June 4, 2017
On June 4th, many of the passionate, young scientific minds from around Nassau County at Freeport High School in a celebration of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Over 400 students from 52 different Middle and High Schools gathered to showcase their knowledge, passion and enthusiasm for the Sciences and the day did not disappoint!
There was excitement among the Middle School division where three different schools stood on the podium! Congratulations to all of these students because not only did they take home trophies but also took first place in their respective categories!
|1st Place||Nava Schein||Hebrew Academy of Long Beach|
|2nd Place||Genevieve Himmelberg, Shyanne Gardner, Nicole Bailey||John W. Dodd Middle School|
|3rd Place||Yosmary Araque, David Francois||Turtle Hook Middle School|
Here’s the breakdown by category in the Middle School Division.
- Biology: Nava Schein
- Environmental, Earth and Planetary Sciences: Genevieve Himmelberg, Shyanne Gardner and Nicole Bailey
- Mixed Science: Yosmary Araque and David Francois
- Social Science: Connor Connolly from Our Lady of Peace School
As exciting as the Middle School division was, there was madness in the High School Division where there was not one but two ties for steps on the podium! Five schools across six teams stood on the podium! Here’s the breakdown.
|1st Place||Ali Hoffman, Saige Gitlin, Molly McLoughlin||Schreiber High School|
|2nd Place (tie)||Justin Kim||Jericho High School|
|2nd Place (tie)||Brandon Langone||Mepham High School|
|2nd Place (tie)||Sanwood Gim||Roslyn High School|
|3rd Place (tie)||Elisabeth Freedman||Bethpage High School|
|3rd Place (tie)||Caroline Katz, Sarah Gottesman, Rebecca Muratore||Schreiber High School|
The category winners are as follows:
- Mixed Sciences: Elisabeth Freedman
- Environmental, Earth and Planetary Sciences: Ali Hoffman, Saige Gitlin, Molly McLoughlin
- Medicine: Justin Kim
- General Biology: Caroline Katz, Sarah Gottesman, Rebecca Muratore
- Chemistry/ Physics: Dave Dodson, Ryan Jose and Keshav Persaud from New Hyde Park High School
- Social Science: Sanwood Gim
- Engineering: Audrey Shine and Alyssa Iryami from Plainview- Old Bethpage High School
Thanks to all the students for being brave enough to put yourself out in front of all the judges and fellow Science enthusiasts and showcase your knowledge and passion for the Sciences. Thank you to all the judges who gave their time to score all the wonderful projects and for your help and flexibility towards the end. An extra special shout out to Ms. Jacqueline Cluckies, a student at Freeport High School who went above and beyond to help out! Lastly, thank you to Dr. Vincent Pereira, Principal Carter, the custodial staff at Freeport High School and the entire district of Freeport! Your school was an incredible host! From all of us here at CSTL and the NCSC… Thank you!
For more information, please contact: email@example.com or call 516-764-0045